1. Policy Statement
BMJ Group is committed towards reducing its carbon footprint by monitoring the impact its business operations has on the environment by promoting good environmental practice throughout the organisation and with its associate companies.
As an organisation that is dedicated to improving health outcomes and education, we are aware of the effects of CO2 emissions on global health. Climates that change can have an impact on living conditions and harvests, floods and droughts can lead to contaminated water, which carries diseases such as Cholera and Malaria. Many of these diseases are preventable, but it is clear that sudden shifts in climate and people’s living environment can cause major health problems. If you would like to read more about the links between health and climate change, please visit the World Health Organisation website.
2. Partnerships with external organisations and initiatives
We are a founding member of the Climate and Health Council, which is a network of health professionals informing and advocating on the health benefits of more sustainable lifestyles and the urgency of addressing climate change. Also, we were one of the first organisations to sign up to the 10:10 campaign which is a drive to encourage businesses to cut their carbon emissions by 10% in one year.
3. Green Team
We also have a proactive Green Team who are committed to coming up with ways the company can become greener by monitoring the source and the causes of our emissions. We work hard to involve and engage our staff in being part of regular green initiatives and communicate in different ways to get the messages across through emails, posters, staff competitions. In addition to the 10:10 campaign, we are committed to improving other areas of our business, such as: production and distribution, recycling, management of food waste and procurement decisions.
4. Our Commitment
Our Environmental Policy encompasses the following, to:
- Endeavour to reduce energy consumption and waste both on and off site
- Aim to recycle as much as possible, from paper to food waste
- Encourage alternatives to air travel, such as low-carbon travelling and video conferencing
- Ensure that we work with ecologically minded suppliers to find the most sustainable ways to produce and distribute our products
- Include our own Environmental Policy in contracts we are tendering for, to demonstrate our commitment to sustainable business practice
- Engage all staff to help us make the business more sustainable
- Acknowledge the environmental implications of all major business decisions
- Monitor and report annually on our level of energy consumption and CO2 emissions, waste management, business travel and suppliers.
5. Further information
If you have any questions or comments about our Environmental Policy or would like to be sent a copy of the latest Green Team report, please contact us: mailto:email@example.com