£competitive + benefits
An opportunity has arisen for a Publishing Assistant to work in BMJ Journals on the journal BMJ Open. Reporting to the Managing Editor, you will:
• Oversee the submission and peer review process using a web-based tracking system
• Search for and invite appropriate manuscript referees
• Process manuscripts and referee reports
• Provide technical support for authors and referees using the submission system
• Deal with author queries regarding the status of manuscripts
• Provide administration support for Managing Editor
• Ensure the smooth throughput and quality control of accepted articles to the production team
• Oversee payments and invoices for authors and statistical reviewers
• Compile statistics on submissions, peer review and publication
• Assist the publishing team with desk research, e.g., citation analysis, finding relevant professional groups
• Assist the production editors and web administrator to ensure the journal websites including blogs are continually refreshed, accurate and relevant for the target audiences
• Assist the marketing team to identify and exploit promotional opportunities
You will be educated to degree standard or equivalent in a scientific discipline or be able to demonstrate a familiarity with scientific research.
You will have excellent written and verbal communication skills; be computer literate, familiar with MS Office and have basic web skills; be able to prioritise a workload; be capable of making sense of complex information, be attentive to detail and a quick learner.
Knowledge of journal publishing and the peer review process are desirable.
How to apply
To apply, please email your CV, covering letter and salary expectations to:
28 September 2012