Senior Editor- Job Description
Main purpose of the job:
- Responsible for content and quality of Action Sets. Outwardly facing, liaising with Medical Directors and Senior representative from Cerner and other system vendor. Key role in strategic planning and product development for Action Sets.
- Key role in product development for all formats of Action Sets.
- Acting as an ambassador / promoting BMJ Evidence Centre products nationally and internationally (participating in relevant forums, increasing awareness amongst peers and influential audiences, broadening opportunities with stakeholders, and discussing new opportunities).
- Confidence to give presentations externally is essential; clear communicator and the ability ro demonstrate credibility to a clinical audience, with superior oral and written communication skills, including the ability to write in a clear and engaging manner for a variety of audiences. A diplomatic negotiator, demonstrating the ability to work constructively with colleagues and opinion leaders, and to influence others as appropriate.
- Direct line management of Clinical Editors. Report as appropriate to the BMJ Evidence Centre Management Team. Supporting less experienced colleagues as needed and providing advice. Manage the performance of freelance editors and provide feedback.
Strong organizational skills, the ability to meet tight deadlines without compromising quality while juggling multiple channels of activity and a demonstrated ability to work independently, managing own time and prioritising effectively. Adaptable, with a flexible approach, and will deal positively with change; willingness to try new things essential, as is a positive attitude towards delivery of materials to meet user needs.
- Participating in projects to enhance content and editorial processes. Planning content– assessing current coverage on the topic from high quality guidelines and other BMJ Evidence Centre content, then liaising with colleagues and expert authors to develop clinically relevant and appropriate content. Selecting peer reviewers and arranging peer review as required.
- Critically appraising guidelines, systematic reviews, RCTs, or other evidence. Rewriting content to ensure it is clear, understandable, and clinically useful. Editing content, incorporating feedback from colleagues and peer reviewers, and liaising with expert contributors to ensure content is delivered to production within agreed time-frame.
- Lead initiatives and projects aimed at improving Action Sets and associated business processes. Maintaining familiarity with competitor products and projects, and identifying opportunities to borrow ideas, form new partnerships, or ensure our offering is distinct.
- Involvement in BMJ Evidence Centre strategy to support appropriate use of resources and investment. Work with business colleagues and other staff to ensure efficient use of current resources across Action Sets editorial team.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- A medical or nursing degree and recent postgraduate clinical experience.
- Postgraduate medial qualifications
- Experience of working in a range of clinical settings.
- Editorial and publishing experience in STM field
- Recent clinical experience
- Team leadership
- Customer and user engagement
- Presentations to key external stakeholders
- EBM and critical appraisal skills
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Leadership and motivation skills
- Customer focus
- Knowledge translation into clinical practice - understanding of processes, challenges and opportunities
- Understanding of clinical systems integration and decision support